I love when I can get two meals out of one. Last week when we bought the pre-seasoned and stuffed chicken I knew we could get at least two meals out of the bird. The first meal was roasted veg along with meat and stuffing from the chicken. It came out delicious! That night we carved and pulled off all the meat and set the leftovers aside. The following night I made my version of Pasta e Fagioli, an Italian soup with beans and pasta and all kinds of goodness. I threw in what was left of the chicken for some added flavor and protein. My soup wasn’t the exact definition of Pasta e Fagioli, but I figured since it had the beans and pasta I’d call it that anyway.
Chicken Pasta e Fagioli
- Pre-roasted chicken meat (about 1-2 breasts)
- 1 cup pasta (I used gluten free, works great as well!)
- 1 14 oz can cannelloni beans, drained
- 1 14 oz can canned tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2-3 cups water
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1-2 carrots, diced
- 1 large sprig of rosemary
- 1/2 leek, diced
- olive oil
- salt/pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute the leeks, carrots, and celery until tender. The carrots may not be too tender, but they’ll soften up during the rest of the cooking process.
- Add the broth, water, tomatoes, beans, and herbs.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then decrease the heat to medium and simmer.
- Remove the herbs.
- Add the zucchini, chicken and pasta and bring back to a boil then simmer until zucchini is tender and the pasta is cooked.
Because I need to avoid certain foods that don’t love me as much as I love them, I did leeks instead of onions, cannelloni beans instead of kidney beans, and I didn’t add garlic. But all of these can be swapped/added as desired. You can also add bay leaves, thyme, and pancetta if you’d like. We just didn’t have them on hand and I didn’t feel like another trip to the grocery store. Either way the soup came out wonderful the way we made it. Whether or not its a true Pasta e Fagioli recipe or not!