Today I decided to go with a more traditional smoothie, of fruits only. I got the idea for this one from Gillian McKeith’s, You Are What You Eat book, which you saw a few times with March’s Soup & Salad posts.
Her recipe was very basic but also seemed to make a ton. It called for just 6 pears and 2 bananas, and said it was 1-2 servings. Maybe I’m not drinking these things right but 6 pears, or even 3 if divided between two people, sounds like WAY more than I can ingest. I scaled the recipe back some, and added a few ingredients that I thought would give it a little something, but without sacrificing on the healthy. The recipe below gave me about 2-3 servings (being one small glass a person), or 1 large serving.
Of course, as I did, you can totally modify this, go back to the original recipe (which literally is just 6 pears and 2 bananas, blended), or follow exactly what I’ve done below. You won’t be disappointed!
- 1 large banana or 2 small bananas
- 1 medium sized pear (don’t peel!)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- About 1/4-1/2 nonfat milk
- 4-6 ice cubes (more/less depending on desired coldness)
- Mix all ingredients, minus the ice until blended smooth. Then add the ice and blend completely.
- Serve and top with a little extra drizzle of honey if desired.